HOME \ CULTURE \ COAST
Galego - Castellano - English
logo Oia




relleno






OIA COAST


image lighthouse of Cabo Silleiro
THE LIGHTHOUSE

This one placed in Cape of Silleiro and it works from 1924, it substituted other one of 1862, its structure is still there. Here is the border between Oia and Baiona.


image of the Petroglyph of Cabeciña
RUINS AND PETROGLYPHS OF CABEZIÑA

It is an elevation of the area placed to 3,5 Km from Punta Centinela where we can find remains of a fortification castreña re-used in the Middle Ages, thanks to its strategic situation. Around the enclosure there are groups of cazoletas (small hemispheroidal hollows) in the granitic rocks, forming part of a set of engraving caves, where are observed incomplete circles and cornered figures, similar to the decorations of some funeral megalithic chambers of the Atlantic European front.


CHURCH OF MOUGÁS

As the churches of other coastal parishes like that of Pedornes and that of Viladesuso, that of Mougas was builr in a place distinguished from the area and with an orientation that follows the parameters of the temples of the antiquity: the entry in the western part (the sunset and the death) and the hight altar in the eastern part (the birth of the Sun and of the life). It is a church where are Romanesque elements in its stones, but it was possibly reconstructed in 1698; it is of highlighting its baroque altarpiece of the 18th century.


image of the lakes of Mougás
THE LAKES

The confluence of the creeks makes one of the corners more beautiful of the council, where the water offers a beautiful spectacle. Placed towards Toroña and at the level of the high place of A Cheira, during the time of rains, spectacular waterfalls can be observed and in the puddles that are formed, the people can enjoy a bath or only admire the local beauty.


THE BRIDGE OF THE RIVER BROI

Placed on the river Broi, it is a bridge of medieval epoch, in which we find a piece similar to a discoidal stela with an inscription that reminds the work of restoration done in 1808. On both sides of the bridge it is possible to see sections of paved way.


THE SIERRA SECA AND THE SOBRAL

Following the course of the river Broi we meet corners like A Serra Seca and O Sobral, where there is a small group of water mills restored and an exceptional cork oak forest unique in the southwest of Galicia.


image of the church of Viladesuso
CHURCH OF VILADESUSO

It is the parochial church that was finished in 1801, in the place where there were an hermitage dedicated to the Saint Angel. It consists of an alone nave and its front is presided by its patron San Miguel in a small place. In its architecture stands out its major chapel, the sacristy is the slender tower of the belfry. Behind the church it is possible to accede to mills as those of Villela, Socamiño or Salero


CHURCH OF PEDORNES

Placed in the road that goes towards the center of Pedornes it is one of the eldest constructions of Oia, dated in the year 1137. we can find a magnificent shield of the monastery under an inscription which remembers the year 1736, date in which it was restored. In the interior we can admire interesting altarpieces and in the porch a group of cruises that formed an antique via crucis.


image of the petroglyphs of Pedornes
PETROGLYPHS OF A POUSADELA

In Pedornes we can find some of the petroglyphs more distinguished of Oia, as the surface with the unique craft of the antiquity represented in Galician petroglyphs of Auga dos Cebros. Other distinguished elements from this zone are the scene of hunt of Pedra do Cazador or geometric elements in Pedra dos Chetos.


image of the house of the guilt
THE OLD ROAD AND THE HOUSE OF THE GUILT

From cape Orelluda it is possible to do a suggestive walk by foot up to the Monastery of Santa Maria of Oia, where we will meet fields of crops and small rocky coves on the coast. We will be also able to see some paved sections and an interesting inscription in a house with the the legend: House of the Guilt 1816.


MONASTERY OF SANTA MARIA OF OIA

It is the authentic emblem of the council and of the southwest coast of Galicia, is undoubtedly the most important cultutal tourist claim of the council. This one placed in Oia's inlet, where according to some historians there were a castle.

The monastery was founded in the year 1137 and the monks of the region lived there under the guardianship of Alfonso VII of Castilla. The richness of the monastery was principally because of the generous royal donations, possessing privileges on the representation of the parishes, imposed for throwing ships to the sea, on the fishing with net, the exploitation of priorates and farms to both sides of river Mio.

The monastery was governed by 140 abbots from 1137 until 1835. It was born like an austere congregation under the simplicity dictated by San Bernardo, good proof of it is the simplicity in its architectural forms that show us the rigid canons of Claraval. Its head is formed by a central chapel and the arms of the cruise finish off in two chapels, of minor height the exterior and higher than the central, showing us a staggered construction. The cloister was finished last third of the year 1500. The front was reconstructed in 1740 as it is read in the inscription on the door of access to the temple, the previous one would be probably identical in forms to that of Santa Maria de Baiona.

The aspect of the monastery suggests a fortress seated to the shore of the sea. Several times it was a defensive place of the kingdom, because of the constants Portuguese incursions and the innumerable assaults of the piracy. There were personal armed and had several pieces of artillery. The general captain of the Kingdom of Galicia order in the year 1621 that the captain and the ensign of the vigilant forces of those coasts, lived in Oia and that they should never leave the monastery.

With Mendizabal's disentailment, in 1835, the history of the monastery as a monastery finishes after 700 years; it turned into parochial church in 1838 after Oia's separation of the parish Pedornes's.

In 1912 it was occupied by the Jesuits, when they were expelled from Portugal. They were there until 1932, when the republican government nationalized the goods of Company of Jesus. After that it was a concentration camp during the civil war.

At present and after having different owners, it is in phase of restoration.






THE ARRABAL

Under the protection of the monastery grew the nucleus of the Arrabal, in the small squar of Centinela, ideal viewing-point on the port and the monastery. It preserves an interesting cruise that indicates the date of construction in 1764 and the donor. Also the original house of the town hall is identified by a plate to the beginning of the street. This neighborhood constitutes one of the nucleus most attractive of the parish of Santa Maria de Oia, its central street, today named Vicente Lopez, was the obligatory way of the roads and in its current state still offers several houses of interest that reflect the Galician traditional architecture, especially those which were restored for services of hotel and catering business or the front of the rectoral of the parish.


image of the Hermitage of San Sebastian
HERMITAGE OF SAN SEBASTIÁN

It is at the end of the Arrabal beyond the houses of the nucleus. The original hermitage was dedicated to San Antonio, it is reconstructed around 1770 the image of San Sebastian was moved from the old hermitage placed in A Portela in the mountain of Oia. Its last restoration is in the year 1993. The devotion in San Sebastian is associated with the epidemics of the XVth to XVIIIth century.


image of the Petroglyphs of A Pedreira
THE PETROGLYPHS OF A PEDREIRA

Placed in the viewing-point of A Ria, from where there is a excellent panoramic to the inlet and Monastery of Oia. They are a set of enigmatic prehistoric petroglyphs based on lines easily visible.


CASTRO DE CANOS DOS MOUROS

It is an enclosure strengthened with a wall that is felt under the vegetation, with legends of tunnels, alleys and tresures.


image of the petroglyphs of Figueiredo, Río de Vilar o Laxe da Auga dos Cebros
PETROGLYPHS DE FIGUEIREDO, RIO DE VILAR O LAXE DA AUGA DOS CEBROS

In the parish of Pedornes there are located some of the most singular petroglyphs of the Galician prehistoric cave engraving. They are the cave engravings of Figueiredo or Laxe da Auga dos Cebros located in the same place of the river of Vilar on a granitic sloping slab. The iconographic digest is composed by the figures of 17 quadrupeds (deer) graved in bas-relief, and the paradigmatic design of a craft of 160 cm. of length, curved hull with prow and stern, mast, ends and crew members possible figures, which are interpreted like of possible origin of Mediterranean influence.




logotipo de la Dirección Xeral de Promoción Industrial e da Sociedade da Información de la Consellería de Innovación e Industria de la Xunta de Galicia logotipo de la Diputación de Pontevedra logotipo del Patronato de Turismo Rías Baixas
Vista Alegre, s/n - 36794 - Oia (Pontevedra) - Telf.: 986 362 125 - Fax: 986 362 268 - info@concellodeoia.es

Symbol of valid XHTML 1.0      Symbol of valid CSS2      Symbol of level AA for accesibility of W3C